Safaricom Plc and the M-PESA Foundation have committed KES 114 million to support the 2026 Rhino Charge Challenge scheduled for Saturday, May 30, in Samburu, with the bulk of the funding earmarked for Rhino Ark Kenya Charitable Trust’s conservation work, according to a company press release issued in May 2026.
Safaricom said KES 94 million of the total will be channelled through the M-PESA Foundation to support Rhino Ark activities, including fencing and protection of Mount Elgon Forest (Suam Block) and restoration efforts in the Mau Forest Complex across Narok, Kericho and Bomet counties. The company said the support will also extend to the Mount Kenya Forest Rehabilitation and Protection Project in Tharaka Nithi County.
The remaining KES 20 million will be provided by Safaricom Plc to support participation by three entry cars and to provide connectivity during the event. Safaricom said KES 17 million of its allocation will support Car No. 44 led by Adil Khawaja, the EV Explorers team led by Richard Kiplagat, and the all-ladies team Zambarau Heels on the Wheel led by Agnes Mwangi. The balance of KES 3 million will be used for network connectivity during the competition.
Speaking during a cheque handover ceremony at Safaricom headquarters in Nairobi, Safaricom CEO Peter Ndegwa linked the sponsorship to the company’s sustainability priorities. “This year, we are proud to commit KES 114 million through the M-PESA Foundation and Safaricom. As a company, sustainability remains central to how we create long-term value for our customers, communities, and the environment. Our support for the Rhino Charge reflects our commitment to practical conservation efforts that protect Kenya’s natural heritage while driving innovation and resilience,” Mr Ndegwa said, according to the press release.
Safaricom said the connectivity support will include deployment of 5G at the event site to improve communications for participants and spectators.
Under the team support allocation, Safaricom said Car No. 44 will receive KES 15 million, while EV Explorers and Zambarau Heels on the Wheel will each receive KES 1 million.
The Rhino Charge is an annual off-road 4×4 competition that raises funds for Rhino Ark Kenya Charitable Trust, which focuses on conservation and protection of Kenya’s mountain ecosystems—often referred to as “water towers.” The event’s fundraising model has become a significant funding stream for conservation infrastructure, particularly electric fencing that aims to reduce human-wildlife conflict and protect key catchment areas.
Safaricom’s announcement comes as corporates continue to increase visibility around climate adaptation and water-tower protection, issues that have direct economic implications for Kenya’s agriculture, hydropower generation, and tourism value chains. Funding directed to fencing and rehabilitation can also influence local livelihoods by reducing crop losses and security risks associated with wildlife incursions, while enabling more predictable land use around protected areas.
Participants also framed the support as enabling greater competitiveness and representation. “As Team Zambarau, we are grateful for Safaricom’s support… This support not only empowers our team but also reinforces our shared mission of advancing conservation and protecting Kenya’s natural heritage through the Rhino Ark Kenya Charitable Trust,” said Elizabeth Wanjiku, a team member at Zambarau Heels on the Wheel, according to the statement.
Richard Kiplagat, team lead for EV Explorers, said the sponsorship will support the team’s second consecutive year in the competition. “As the only EV team in the competition, we are highly motivated not only to complete the challenge but also to emerge among the best, building on lessons from last year’s mechanical challenges as we champion the future of electric mobility and environmental conservation,” Mr Kiplagat said.
Safaricom cited Rhino Charge’s 2025 fundraising performance as a benchmark for the scale of giving the event attracts. According to the press release, the 2025 edition in Saimo Soi, Baringo County, raised KES 269.5 million. Safaricom said Adil Khawaja was the top fundraiser for the third consecutive year after raising KES 139.8 million, followed by Car No. 23 led by Peter Kinyua at KES 13.5 million and Car No. 63 led by Tim Carstens at KES 8.6 million.
Looking ahead to the 2026 event, Safaricom said the 37th edition is expected to attract 55 entries, including the 2025 overall winners Team Huzi (Car No. 33) and Team Zambarau. Separately, Rhino Ark Executive Director Christian Lambrechts said preparations were ongoing and projected higher participation. “This year’s preparations for the Rhino Charge Challenge are in full swing, and we expect a total of 65 entries to take part in the challenge and fundraising effort,” Mr Lambrechts said, according to the statement.
Photo Gallery